Hello, just moved in japan, need help

• erome
      erome
      ブロンズ
      登録日: 08.12.2008 ポスト: 227
      英語で書くためのすみません.私はあなたの言語を記述しないでください

Sorry for writing in english. I got a job as a foreign language teacher and i wanted to know if online poker is legal in japan and if there are taxation issues related to it.

Also, i don´t have internet in my house and i tried to plug my laptop to the internet LAN in my office but i can´t get on line. My computer sais it is on local only conexion. I was checking the internet forums and i think it isn´t a problem with my computer it has to be something related to the office security or something else i think. By the way i bought the computer in the USA and it has Windows Vista.

Any advise will be very welcome, thanx a lot.

Arigatou gozaimasu
  • 6 の返信
    • Yohei
      Yohei
      ブロンズ
      登録日: 05.08.2010 ポスト: 1,457
      Hello erome, Welcome to Japan!

So,first of all Legality of Online Poker in Japan, which no one has correct answer.
      Unauthorized gambling is prohibited in Japan, however online gambling is completely out from this idea because internet can cross over jurisdictions.

We do not have any particular law for it unlike Korea, so with this mean at least we do not be caught now, and I never heard someone who has been caught in Japan by this so far.

For Taxation issue, I'm not familiar with this problem however, I knew that it's recognized as "other income" and you have to pay tax if you earn profit over 500,000JPY per year. You also can claim some cost such as Internet connection, PC etc. It likes case of online trader I think.

For your Internet connection, it's more technical problem and you probably have unique situation, therefore I cannot answer for you here sorry.
      However, internet system is not really different from US I think, don't worry.

I hope this helps you a lot and enjoy your Japanese life!
    • erome
      erome
      ブロンズ
      Thanx a lot, for your answer.

I think i ll ask people related to maintenance in the building and if i can´t get on line with my computer i might install full tilt software on the office computer.

Just one more thing, because i m not too familiar to japanese way of thinking about jobs.

Is it a very bad thing here if i use the computer in my office for personal issues, like poker, when it isn´t during my working time?

For example: if i play from the office on sunday
    • Yohei
      Yohei
      ブロンズ
      登録日: 05.08.2010 ポスト: 1,457
      oh, it's also difficult for me too as I'm working abroad now :D

It's depends on company I think. However, mostly they are strongly thinking separate, work and private, specially using company's asset.

Best way is to ask your boss but this case I strongly suggest you to do not ask it because of online poker.

As I mentioned above, it's in very sensitive situation therefore many of them thinks it's "Illegal" or anyway not appropriate thing in society. For example, I was sometimes refused PS's AD because of this, even if we are not operator itself.

Unfortunately or fortunately(?), many of Japanese are educated gambling is "Guilty", personally I think "Addicted gambling" is guilty but if you can cover fund, it's just hobby. However many of Japanese has not this feeling, it's bit far from Westerns. (but meanwhile as you've seen, many Pachinkos are exiting, it's very strange twisting logic in Japan. You'll be familiar with this in someday...)

So, conclusion is, I strongly suggest you to do not install Poker Software in your office computer, basically depends on your company culture and policy but it's also could be your firing reason. In this case, it's not logical and even if you will explain very well, doesn't matter.
    • Huopa
      Huopa
      ブロンズ
      登録日: 27.10.2009 ポスト: 689
      As for the internet connection, it is possible that the administrator needs to register the MAC address (physical address) of your laptop in order for you to use the internet through the company's network.

Often times they limit the access to the internet from unknown or private machines for security reasons so it might not be possible to use the internet from your own laptop.
    • erome
      erome
      ブロンズ
      Tatsunori による投稿
      As for the internet connection, it is possible that the administrator needs to register the MAC address (physical address) of your laptop in order for you to use the internet through the company's network.

Often times they limit the access to the internet from unknown or private machines for security reasons so it might not be possible to use the internet from your own laptop.
      Thanx so much, that is what i had on mind, but i m not an IT person and didn´t know if doing that was possible
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      ブロンズ
      登録日: 01.04.2009 ポスト: 1,883
      Yohei による投稿
      Unfortunately or fortunately(?), many of Japanese are educated gambling is "Guilty", personally I think "Addicted gambling" is guilty but if you can cover fund, it's just hobby. However many of Japanese has not this feeling, it's bit far from Westerns. (but meanwhile as you've seen, many Pachinkos are exiting, it's very strange twisting logic in Japan. You'll be familiar with this in someday...)

So, conclusion is, I strongly suggest you to do not install Poker Software in your office computer, basically depends on your company culture and policy but it's also could be your firing reason. In this case, it's not logical and even if you will explain very well, doesn't matter.
      Please take this advice to heart. I know JETs/ALTs who have gotten in trouble for studying Japanese at work. Playing games, especially gambling games, would almost certainly get you dismissed!